Ayr Rugby Football Club
Five tries by Ayr helped them see off Currie, secure a bonus point and sneak back to the top of the BT Premiership table.
It was a beautiful autumn day in Alloway but it wasn't the best start for the home team as Currie's Joe Reynolds got his side on the scoreboard first with a penalty.  0-3.

Early wobbles at the line-out for Ayr didn't help and neither did some knocks-on.  But they were strong in defence, with hooker James Malcolm, second row Blair Macpherson and centre Robbie Fergusson leading the way with some mighty tackles.

Stand-off Frazier Climo and captain Ross Curle began to pull the strings and got Ayr organised in the attack.  But a string of penalties by both teams, followed by some dull kicking, threatened to kill off the game before it had really begun.

Just as Currie looked to be on to something, Climo zoomed on to a long pass and raced away for an interception try which he converted himself.  7-3.

Ayr were heading for another score as Currie spilled the ball at the line-out and prop Javan Sebastian scooped it up.  They went through the phases, but even a couple of penalties by Currie and some hefty scrums by Ayr couldn't get the Millbrae men over the line again.

It was a bit frustrating to watch from the sidelines, but the players showed patience when it mattered.  Wingers Haddon McPherson and Cameron Taylor got things going before an excellent break by Fergusson, with Curle in support, allowed full-back Grant Anderson to fly over for a try.  Climo couldn't convert.  12-3.

A deft little kick and catch by McPherson got some oohs and aahs from the crowd, before man of the match George Hunter went into bulldozing mode and Fergusson jinked his way round the Currie defence.  A stray boot went flying out of a ruck and landed on the touchline - later to be retrieved by Currie hooker Matt Goodwin - as the two sides scrapped it out.

Currie took heart from some solid play and second row Stephen Ainslie galloped off before being reined in by Ayr flanker Graham Fisken.  Reynolds was on the canter next, but unfortunately threw the ball to no-one.

The second half began in the same ragged fashion but Currie backs Matt McPhillips and Harvey Elms looked dangerous with ball in hand.  They just couldn't keep a hold of it, and before they knew it, Ayr number eight Pete McCallum had burst forth on an impressive break that is fast becoming his trademark.  Curle took a lovely pass, patted away a defender and glided over for the try.  Climo converted.  19-3.

Ayr's back row were having a good day, and there was excellent work at the breakdown by flanker Will Bordill.  The scrum was going well too and when they got themselves into an advantageous position thanks to a Currie infringement, a huge shove saw McCallum break free and burrow over for Ayr's bonus-point try and his sixth score in seven games.  Climo easily kicked the wide conversion.  26-3.

Currie got their forwards into gear and, led by their tenacious captain Ross Weston, slowly but surely gained territory.  It was fitting that hard-working Weston rumbled over for the try.  Reynolds' conversion attempt was wide.  26-8.

A small scuffle broke out as both sides became frustrated at mistakes at the set pieces but this was soon forgotten as replacement hooker Lewis Anderson settled Ayr's line-out.  Although they were quick to get to Currie's five-metre line, Ayr couldn't go any further.

Replacement backs Richard Dalgleish and Danny McCluskey were on the look out for something, but it was a quick tap-and-go from scrum-half Ali Price which got Ayr back into Currie's half.  He sliced his way through the defence to offload to McPherson, who had Curle on his shoulder, and the captain got his second try of the day.  He couldn't convert his own score though.  31-8.

There were some final attempts from Currie's backs to get another try, and Weston was again working hard, but McCluskey and replacements Steven Longwell and Lee Scott put in some tough tackles to stop them.  Fisken had another break too but there were no more scores.

It was a patchy performance in places, but Ayr again showed maturity to overcome their errors and get the win.  They lead the BT Premiership by a point, with Melrose right behind them.  Ayr visit Selkirk next week, with an early kick-off of 1.30pm, and will try to hold off the threat of Borderers on the field and the league table.

Final score: Ayr 31 Currie 8.

- Elena Hogarth.

Photos by Jim Gemmell.