Ayr Rugby Football Club
There was disappointment for Ayr at Meggetland on Saturday afternoon as their unbeaten run in the BT Premiership came to a halt at the hands of Boroughmuir.
The home team were the livelier from the start, despite glimpses of attack from Ayr winger Cameron Taylor, centre Stafford McDowall, props George Hunter and Steven Longwell and stand-off Frazier Climo.

It was an ominous beginning for Ayr's set-pieces, as the line-out went awry and Boroughmuir gained the upper hand at the scrum.

Ayr's straying off-side gave Boroughmuir their first chance of points, but stand-off Chris Laidlaw's penalty hit the post.

Their backs were slick and sharp, moving the ball from touchline to touchline with ease.

Ayr scrum-half David Armstrong delighted the travelling fans with a great kick that he managed to retrieve and set off on a mazy run.

A penalty for Ayr gave them the line-out but Boroughmuir snaffled it, although their clearance was charged down by second row Robert McAlpine, fresh from his appearance for Glasgow Warriors the night before.

Ayr headed for the line but couldn't make it, although Climo later struck a successful penalty. 0-3.

Ayr's backs, led by captain Grant Anderson and winger Craig Gossman, launched a plucky attack. But again, the line eluded them and Climo's boot got them the points instead. 0-6.

Laidlaw replied shortly after. 3-6.

Boroughmuir full-back Dougie Steele enjoyed himself immensely against his old club, and it was his scintillating break up the wing that allowed prop Ross Dunbar to fly over for an exciting try. Laidlaw converted. 10-6.

Ayr lost Taylor to a head knock, with Richard Dalgleish replacing him and getting stuck into attack after a break by Armstrong, with centre Danny McCluskey in support. Dalgleish got bundled into touch before he could reach the try-line.

Ayr lost another player to injury, this time flanker Will Bordill hobbling off, and hooker David Young came off the bench and into the back row.

A long miss-pass from Armstrong set Dalgleish off again, with many a pink and black hand getting the ball from one wing to the other, but Gossman couldn't take it.

Boroughmuir swiftly headed for the try-line only to be held up. Ayr then forced them back into their own half but gave away a penalty. Laidlaw had a go from just over the half-way line but the kick was unsurprisingly short.

The home backs continued to demonstrate their speed in the second half, but it was lock Jamie Scott who grabbed the try just after the resumption. Laidlaw's conversion attempt from out wide was perfectly struck. 17-6.

Armstrong got Ayr going from a steady line-out, Climo, Young, hooker James Malcolm, Hunter and replacement prop Adam Prentice in support but those finishing touches were missing, and Boroughmuir's confidence was growing as they had the league leaders on the ropes.

Second rows Craig Stevenson and Scott Sutherland (on for McAlpine) were tough in defence but Boroughmuir just had that little bit more ruthlessness with ball in hand.

Ayr's attack was ragged, despite the best efforts of number eight Blair Macpherson, Gossman and Dalgleish.

Some swift moves at the line-out by Malcolm and Hunter opened up a gap for Armstrong to motor through but the scrum-half couldn't claim the try. He was determined in attack though, pirouetting out of tackles moments later.

Yet another Ayr player had to be escorted from the pitch due to injury, Anderson this time. He was replaced by Graham Hunter, making his 1st XV debut.

Boroughmuir found themselves down to fourteen men when Scott was yellow-carded for a deliberate knock-on, but his team-mates coped admirably with his absence, holding Ayr up over the line.

They couldn't do it a second time, Macpherson easily picking up from the back of a trundling scrum and dotting down for a much-needed try. Climo couldn't convert. 17-11.

Boroughmuir decided attack was the best form of defence, winger Jordan Edmunds dashing about to get the home fans on their feet. Tackles by McCluskey, Armstrong and Graham Hunter stemmed the tide briefly, but captain Craig Keddie scored for Muir at the base of the post. Laidlaw converted. 24-11.

There was still time for Ayr to claw their way back into it, and flanker Gregor Henry did some sterling work at the break-down but he was added to the injury list, sadly being stretchered off with a lower leg problem after some attentive care from both Ayr and Boroughmuir's medical teams.

Ayr just couldn't keep a hold of the ball as they looked for more points. Graham Hunter twice made breaks but found himself isolated.

Stevenson, McDowall, McCluskey and Macpherson were on to something, but a chip by Climo couldn't be collected by anyone and it was soon full-time, bringing joy to the Boroughmuir team (and their supporters), who deserved their win.

Final score: Boroughmuir 24 Ayr 11.

- Elena Hogarth.