Ayr Rugby Football Club
After last week's defeat to Watsonians, Ayr head coach Calum Forrester said his players would pick themselves up for a tricky encounter with Currie, and that is exactly what they did, running in five tries in a solid, confident performance in the BT Premiership.
Currie at Malley Park has been Ayr's banana skin fixture for the past few years, the hosts seemingly always able to unsettle the visitors and sneak a win. But not on Saturday.

Ayr got off to a flying start, flanker Will Bordill crashing over for a try from a line-out, and stand-off Frazier Climo, who didn't miss a kick all afternoon, converting. 0-7.

But danger lay ahead, with Currie's marauding backs putting the Ayr defence under pressure. Second rows Scott Sutherland Robert McAlpine were busy all afternoon, putting in the hits.

Currie centre Robbie Nelson made a brilliant break, but the home team's chip ricocheted off an Ayr player and was gathered and cleared.

There was a substitution for Ayr, with hooker David Young going off and Lewis Anderson taking his place.

Currie put their foot on the gas, racing up the wing, with captain and number eight Ross Weston scoring. Stand-off James Bywater missed the conversion. 5-7.

Ayr got themselves back into Currie's twenty-two, captain Pete McCallum breaking from the back of the scrum, with scrum-half David Armstrong whipping the ball to Climo who sent a long, curving pass to full-back Grant Anderson. He found Craig Gossman on the wing, who had to step back in to avoid being shoved into touch.

They didn't reach the try-line, but Climo lined up a penalty and got it. 5-10.

Bywater replied moments later when Ayr were pinged for holding on. 8-10.

Currie had three line-outs in a row, but a knock-on gave Ayr a scrum. Gossman slipped the tackles, flipping the ball to Armstrong who juggled it before passing to Climo. A delayed pass just before the five-metre line ended up in Currie hands.

They didn't have long to wait for another score though, as Bordill repeated his earlier feat of launching himself over the whitewash after a line-out. Climo converted. 8-17.

Currie kept in touch with another penalty by Bywater. 11-17.

Grant Anderson made another break before Ayr got a penalty and took the line-out. Sutherland got his hands on the ball, pirouetted through a gaping hole in the Currie defence and went over for the try. Climo added the extras. 11-24.

The set pieces were working well for Ayr, and Lewis Anderson bashed through the tackles after a line-out, with Bordill, Climo, centre Ross Curle and Climo appearing again in support before Grant Anderson cruised over for the try. Climo converted just before half-time. 11-31.

Climo opened the second half with a penalty. 11-34.

Currie were coming back into the game though, Lewis Anderson and centre Archie Russell having their hands full trying to stop former Ayr player Fergus Scott.

Ayr made a substitution, with Blair Macpherson replacing flanker Ruaridh Mackenzie.

The hosts had a good amount of possession but they were labouring to the line and Ayr managed to repel their attack, securing a penalty. Unfortunately, Currie flanker Thomas Gordon intercepted after the line-out and Weston rumbled away with the ball.

A penalty for Currie gave them a line-out and after some patient play, Nelson got over for the try, with Bywater converting. 18-34.

There was a nail-biting period for Ayr fans as Russell landed himself in the sin bin, and Currie winger Cameron Gray flew over in the corner for a try. It was a wide conversion but Bywater nailed it. 25-34.

Currie had a spring in their step, and roared on by the home crowd, they looked like they were about to score another, only to be called back for a forward pass.

They came back again, relentlessly pushing for the try-line until Ayr prop Steven Longwell put in a tremendous tackle to cause a knock-on.

Ayr got a penalty from the scrum, and a good line-out allowed Armstrong, Curle and winger Richard Dalgleish to press on into Currie's half before Lewis Anderson burst through the defence at a gallop.

Another penalty line-out didn't go so well, as the throw-in was deemed not straight, and it happened again after Currie cleared. It didn't hinder Ayr too much, as Armstrong and Climo had any attackers well wrapped up.

Grant Anderson was under a Currie kick and flew off with McCallum, Climo, Macpherson, Bordill, Gossman, prop George Hunter and Curle in support. The thud from the tackles put in by Currie could be heard in the stand, and Armstrong chipped over the defence for Gossman to chase.

The winger couldn't take it, but another powerful scrum by Ayr got everyone in on the act, the entire team making for the line at one point or another. Climo put in a cross-field kick for Dalgleish but it was unsuccessful.

Ayr had the advantage though and took another scrum, and just as they were headed for the line, Currie scrum-half Richard Sneddon stuck out a paw and was dismissed for ten minutes for a deliberate knock-on.

From the scrum, McCallum broke away and popped the pass to Climo, who muscled his way over for the try, which he easily converted. 25-41.

Currie had the final say, winger Ben Robbins scoring and full-back Harvey Elms converting. 32-41.

The win means Ayr are still in second place on level points with leaders Melrose in the BT Premiership table, and they will look to back up the victory against Heriot's at home next week.

Final score: Currie 32 Ayr 41.

- Elena Hogarth.