Ayr Rugby Football Club

It was a flawless weekend for Ayr RFC with the 1XV, 2XV, Millbrae and Ladies all enjoying victories.


The headliner of the weekend's action took place at Meggetland, where Ayr fended off Boroughmuir to win 17-26.

It didn't take long for Ayr to take control of the match. From the kick-off Frazier Climo's monstrous return punt rolled out on the five metre line and Boroughmuir found themselves already under the cosh. A poor exit let Ayr run back down the home sides' throat and get a try just three minutes into the fixture. Beautiful inter-play from Anderson and Rowe had them breaking up the touchline before Stafford McDowall was on hand to finish the move. Climo's conversion made it 0-7.

The early score didn't rattle Boroughmuir, who wasted no time to return the favour. Less than 60 seconds from the restart skipper Jonny Matthews was able to bundle over from a rolling maul- the product of a beautifully worked line-out move. The conversion slipped wide.

Ayr added to their lead on the 17th minute. Climo, who was at the heart of everything going forward, produced a scintillating looping pass over multiple Boroughmuir defenders who had shot off their line. The ball landed once again in the hands of McDowall but the centre still had plenty to do and made short work of the slack defence trying to pull him down. The conversion was good.

Try number three for ayr came quite fittingly on the 33rd minute. After multiple bruising carries from a doggish Ayr pack Grant Anderson was able to take advantage of defenders sucked into the ruck, and cantered in unmarked. The touchline conversion was expertly taken by Climo. 

Just before the ref blew for half-time Ayr managed to secure the bonus. Climo, in a role-reversal from distributer, decided to venture alone and managed to power through the contact and score. He converted his own try to conclude the half.

Half-time: Boroughmuir 5-26 Ayr.

Boroughmuir shot out of the traps from the break and managed to claw a score back minutes into proceedings. Winger Jordan Edmunds, who's pace complimented the breakneck speed the game was being played at, managed to break free from his tackler and score.

The home side didn't manage to keep up their intensity however and it wasn't long until Ayr were back over the whitewash once more.

Ayr's power at scrum-time was slowly turning into a choke hold and punishing Boroughmuir. After multiple infringements and re-sets Ayr decided to play the ball and shipped wide to the powerful Robbie Nairn, who was being stopped by no man. The conversion was pushed just wide.

The next score came courtesy of the skipper. Blair Macpherson, who's form so far this season has been red-hot, bagged his six try in as many games with twenty minutes to play. Grant Anderson stepped up for the conversion in the absence of Climo but couldn't connect, leaving the score at 10-36.

The final score of the afternoon came from the home side and provided marginal consolation. Once again it was Jonny Matthews who benefitted from the rolling maul and the conversion with seven to play concluded the scoring.

Full-time: Boroughmuir 17-36 Ayr.


The 2XV game proved to be more of a nail-bitter. After 79 minutes of exchanging blows Boroughmuir looked set to steal victory in the final play of the game before a scrum turnover unleashed Ayr down the park. Fast forward 15-plus phases and Ayr managed to score deep into stoppage time to seal a 22-27 victory.

2XV head coach Gordon Kotze described the win at the death with: "It was unbelievable, great effort from the boys. Our defence was outstanding.

"Everyman to the tee stepped up today; made their hits, carried hard and played for each other". 

Speaking on how important an away victory like this is, he said: "You know you need to win your home matches but picking up a five-pointer on the road, that's what puts you at the top-of-the-table come the end of the season.

On Sunday Ayr Ladies made it three-from-three with a 26-12 win over Gairoch. Scores came from Robynn Gibson (2), Catherine Clark and Jo Jones.