Ayr Rugby Football Club

High-flying Ayr were able to notch their eighth consecutive win to start the season on Saturday with a comprehensive 5-29 victory over Glasgow Hawks. The win marks the club's best start to a campaign in the premiership era- overtaking the 7-0 feat from 2011.

Although masquerading as a routine victory on the surface the much-improved home side let nothing away easily and looked the sharper of the two for many spells during the game.

Straight from the off they looked the hungrier pack. A lovely weighted kick from Ross Thompson put Ayr on the back foot and terrific line-speed forced a knock-on. From the scrum they came close to drawing first blood but a dropped ball by Matt Smith allowed Ayr to exit.

Hawks' looked the real deal when playing with intensity but sustainability was proving to be their undoing. Just when they looked to be causing problems a momentary lapse in concentration would kill off any momentum.

The first significant blunder came after ten minutes. A weak tackle attempt was shrugged off by the stampeding Stafford McDowall. The centre managed to find his midfield partner Paddy Kelly on his inside but Hawks tremendously managed to cover. Ayr didn't let up at second serving, however, and Robbie Nairn snipped in from out wide. 

Hawks stuck to this script and on twenty minutes Ayr were in again. Steven Longwell, in similar fashion to a battering ram smashing through a door, was able to break through from the back of a ruck. Hawks were further derailed moments later when James Cooper was sent to the bin for a dangerous tackle.

Ayr wasted no time in using the man advantage, with Robbie Nairn grabbing his second on-the-day a minute later to bring scoring to 0-15. 

On Couper's return to action you'd be forgiven for thinking he was being subbed back on for Gary Strain as they crossed paths on the touchline, but the harsh reality for Hawks' fans was another yellow- this time to their Skipper.

With an extra man still looming Ayr were able to seal their eighth-consecutive bonus point before the interval. Grant Anderson had men free outside him but opted for route one and was able to power through straggling arms and score. Climo split the uprights to increase Ayr's lead to 0-22.

HT: Glasgow Hawks 0-22 Ayr RFC.

As the game resumed it became very clear Hawks were a different side. Air-tight defence made for scintillating viewing as a pack which have dominated the Tennents Premiership now struggled to break the gain-line. Hawks valiantly put their bodies on the line to suffocate an Ayr side who refused to give up the ball.

The home side held strong for thirty minutes with the scoreboard frozen at 0-22, but the downside of constantly defending meant they were unable to get their own attack going and the final result was slipping into inevitability.

After 1,800 bruising seconds of damage they finally caved and Paddy Kelly was able to stretch the lead further. Climo converted to make it 0-29 with ten left to play.

As Ayr shut up shop and looked to close out their historic eighth win Hawks managed to salvage a consolation score. Cameron Symes crossed over with a minute left to play to give them a more than deserved score and positive note to conclude the contest.

FT: Glasgow Hawks 5-29 Ayr RFC.

The second XV also enjoyed a win in Glasgow, triumphing 17-78 over GHA. Wolf van Dijk was named MOTM. 

Action returns to Millbrae this Saturday when Ayr host Watsonian FC.