Ayr Rugby Football Club

It was a busy week for those in pink and black over the weekend with the 1XV, 2XV and ladies all in league action. A mixed bag of results, a last gasp winner from the twos on Friday was followed by narrow defeat for the 1XV on Saturday to Currie Chieftains. The weekend ended on a high however with Ayr Ladies winning the Tennent's National 1 league away to Oban Lorne.



A derby-day clash in Troon on Friday kick-started the weekend. Gordon Kotze's men battled from behind with Zac Howard scoring in dramatic fashion deep into injury time. Jack Rennie then stepped up and slotted the conversion to seal a 27-28 victory.


On Saturday Ayr RFC fell just short to a strong Currie Chieftains side at Malleny Park. A great showing from the pack had Ayr up early but as the game came down to the wire Chieftains managed to edge out a one-point victory.



The home side were spurred on by the tragic loss of their Chairman Campbell Reynolds through the week and put in an inspiring defensive shift to see out a 24-23 win.


Throughout the early stages of the game it was Ayr who were on top courtesy of their pack. Just three minutes into the fixture they drew first blood with a Steven Longwell try. The prop latched onto the back of a destructive rolling maul and marched over. The conversion was denied by the uprights.


Murchie’s men were reaping the rewards of a destructive scrum and controlled proceedings via the set-piece. Chieftains looked dangerous when feeding their backs but an inability to compete at scrum-time gifted Ayr valuable penalties all over the pitch.


After twenty minutes Currie managed to escape their set-piece woes and get onto the score sheet. Matt Hooks, who was a late replacement before kick-off, darted through illusive defending and had pace to burn, scoring out wide. Hunter split the uprights to take the lead.


Just as the sun set on an opening half of rugby Ayr had one last go out wide. Winger Kyle Rowe managed to worm his way through some loose defence before finding the supporting Blair Macpherson on his outside. Macpherson still had plenty to do and powered clear with no regard to the attempting tacklers trying to pull him down. The conversion slipped wide.


Half-time: Currie Chieftains 7-10 Ayr RFC.


After the interval it was Currie who struck first, with Matt Hooks scoring out wide for his second of the day to regain the lead for the home team.


The lead changed hands once more when Harry Warr was tackled high deep in Chieftains half. Climo took aim at the posts and made no mistake. 12-13.


Just before the hour mark club skipper Peter McCallum took to the field after a long lay-off through injury. It took him just thirty seconds to mark his return with a try, scoring from the back of a maul. Climo’s conversion made it 12-20.


With fifteen to play Currie managed to cut the deficit. Former-Ayr man Fergus Scott, who was also returning from injury, scored a carbon-copy of McCallum’s try. The conversion meant only a single point separated the sides.


With the clock dwindling down Climo stretched the lead with a long-range effort at the posts, but a try from the home side moments later gave them the decisive 24-23 scoreline.


To close out the weekend Ayr Ladies had it all to do when they travelled to table-toppers Oban Lorne on the final day of their season. Ayr went into the contest four points behind Oban and in need of a bonus-point victory. To further the task at hand, if Oban picked up a bonus point Ayr would need to win by more than 22 points to snatch the league on points-difference. 


In their finest hour, Stuart Fenwick and Frazier Climo's ladies came of age.


A scintillating performance from the first whistle to the last saw them beat the odds and win the league with a 14-49 victory. A Robynn Gibson hat-trick was joined by scores from Rachael Mulholland, Connie Griffiths and Danni Hands. In a match where Ayr's cut-throat attack was only bested by thunderous defence, Emily Irvine was named man-of-the-match for relentless effort on both ends of the field.